Experience in treating the anxiety disorder suggests that the better informed and enlightened a sufferer is about his or her condition, the more successful they generally are in getting over it. There are five things you need to know in order to fully appreciate and understand your condition.
1. The number of people suffering varying degrees of health anxiety is very high and relentlessly increasing. The percentage of Americans with this affliction ranges anywhere from 4% to as high as 20%.
2. There are those who frantically and obsessively search the internet for answers to their anxiety fears. The jargon for those who feel compelled to do this is Cyberchondria. And they usually end up even more anxious and frustrated because eventually they would find just the things they most fear.
3. Health anxiety hardly ever occurs by itself; it occurs mostly with other forms of disorders. Some of these include generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, agoraphobia, and even social phobia. Those who suffer chronic clinical depression are also more prone to this disorder.
4. Medical research and statistics suggest that there are more female sufferers than male ones. However, many professionals believe that men and women suffer equally and explain the figures by saying that men are less likely to discuss the condition than women are.
5. Usually, doctors recommend medications such as SSRIs. However, patients are usually unable to cope with the side effects of this medications which may appear like separate serious illnesses. And this leads to many sufferers opting for other solutions like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and various other thought-based therapies.
The more you know about your particular condition, the easier it would be for you to find an appropriate and effective solution. Arming yourself with as much information as possible is the first and most important step towards overcoming this disorder.